The following research labs are currently operational at the PI Electrical Engineering Department:
Other labs in the Electrical Engineering Department’s research plans include:
Power Electronics Lab
Please click here to go the Power Electronics Lab page.
Real-Time (Power Systems) Digital Simulator Lab
This lab features a Real-Time Digital Simulator (RTDS), which is a fully digital electromagnetic transient power system simulator used to conduct closed-loop testing of physical devices such as protection and control equipment, as well as conduct analytical system studies. The RTDS allows the user to investigate the effects of disturbances on power system equipment and networks to prevent outages or complete failure. The RTDS is a cost-effective replacement for transient network analyzers and analogue/hybrid simulators.
Embedded Systems and Networking Lab
The vision/mission of the Embedded Systems and Networking Lab is to form a center of excellence in research and development in the areas of embedded electronic systems and networking, targeting the oil and gas industry, in particular ADNOC and its Operating Companies (OPCOs). The center would specifically focus on applied research for the development of new patented oil/gas-oriented networked apparatuses which would lead to end-products for oil and gas fields. The center would also provide calibration, assessment, and safety certification (according to ATEX or equivalent standards) facilities for various oil-oriented embedded systems. The main component of this Lab is a multiphase flow loop to carry oil, water, and gas under different flow regimes. In addition, the Lab is equipped with various processor-based hardware development kits, software development tools, and sensors.
High Voltage Lab
The High Voltage (HV) lab is well equipped for both teaching and research on HV testing, insulation ageing, and condition monitoring of power equipment and cables. It can also provide insulation tests and failure investigations for ADNOC and other industries. It features the following:
- 100kV/10kVA test transformer
- 110kV lightning impulse generator
- 135kV DC supplier
- Partial discharge detector.
Smart Sensor Laboratory (SSL)
The Smart Sensor Laboratory (SSL) is well equipped for research in the following areas:
- Special sensor design and instrumentation
- Pipeline surface inspection
- Wireless sensors and network design.
The lab features the following equipment:
- Specialized optical instrumentation (optical bench, laser, different light detectors, filters, polarizers, lenses, …)
- Lock-in amplifier and beam chopper
- High sensitivity digital camera (CCD)
- Various sensors (including wireless sensors)
- PC-server with Labview and other specialized software
- Basic electronic equipment (oscilloscope, multimeter, function generator, …)
- Precise computer controlled positioning instrument