Dr. Jamal Ahmad
Phone: +971 2 607 5338
Fax: +971 2 607 5200
- Ph.D. North Carolina State University, 1993
Dr. Ahmad's expertise is in the area of manufacturing science and engineering where he has taught graduate and undergraduate courses and conducted research for several years. His work on traditional and non-traditional machining of metals and composites is internationally recognized. Dr. Ahmad has published over thirty articles in internationally recognized journals and conference proceedings. In the past five years he has submitted more than 37 research proposals (totaling over $2.9 million) to university, local and federal agencies. He has received research grants for over $1.0 million. His current research activities are in the areas of characterization and modeling of wear, conventional and non-conventional machining of metals and composites, CVD diamond coating of wear parts, and rapid prototype tooling.
HONORS and AWARDS
- ASME Blackall Machine Tool and Gage Award, 1999
- Post-doctoral Fellowship, Wood Machining & Tooling Research Program, North Carolina State University, 1994-97
- Outstanding Graduate Teaching Assistants Award, North Carolina State University, 1990
- Member of ASME
- Member of SME
- Secondary manufacturing of polymer composites
- Characterization and modeling of wear
- Real time tool condition monitoring
- Conventional and non-conventional machining of metals and composites
- Characterization and modeling of metals behavior under dynamic loading
- Sheikh-Ahmad, J., R. Yadav, "Force Prediction in Milling of Carbon Fiber Reinforced Polymers," to appear in Proc. ASME International Mechanical Engineering Congress and Exposition, November 5-11, 2005, Orlando, Florida USA.
- Sen S., J. Twomey, J. Sheikh-Ahmad, "ANN Constitutive Model for High Strain-Rate Deformation of Al 7075," Proc. North American Manufacturing Research Institute Conference, New York, May 2005, SME Technical Paper - TP05PUB96, 2005.
- Sheikh-Ahmad, J., V. Quarless, J. Bailey "On the role of microcracking in the flow instability during the machining of CP titanium," Machining Science and Technology, 2004, 8(3): 415-430.
- Sheikh-Ahmad, J., C.M. Lewandowski, J.A. Bailey, J.S. Stewart, "Experimental and numerical methods for determining the temperature distribution in wood cutting tool," Experimental Heat Transfer, 2003 (16): 255-271.
- N. Rajaram, J. Sheikh-Ahmad, S. H. Cheraghi, "CO2 laser cut quality of 4130 steel," International Journal of Machine Tools and Manufacture, 2003, 43(4): 351-358.