Dr. Peter Rodgers
Office: Ruwais 3012
Phone: +971 2 607 5397
Fax: +971 2 607 5200
Peter Rodgers is an Associate Professor of Mechanical Engineering at The Petroleum Institute in Abu Dhabi, United Arab Emirates. He holds a Ph.D. degree in mechanical engineering from the University of Limerick, Ireland. He was formally with the Center for Advanced Life Cycle Engineering (CALCE), University of Maryland; Nokia Research Center, Finland and Electronics Thermal Management, Ltd., Ireland. In these positions he has been actively involved in electronics cooling and reliability, including health monitoring of electronics. He has authored or co-authored over 80 journal and conference publications in these areas. He has served as an invited lecturer, keynote speaker, panelist, and session chair at international conferences and received the 1999 Harvey Rosten Memorial Award for his publications on the application of computational fluid dynamics to electronics thermal design. He is a member of several international conference program committees focused on energy technologies, electronics reliability and thermal phenomena in electronic systems. His present research activities are focused on the development of polymeric heat exchangers; solid particle transport in multiphase flow; waste heat utilization; solar energy; experimental characterization of fundamental thermofluid phenomena; and engineering education.
- Ph.D. University of Limerick, 2000
HONORS and AWARDS
- Recipient of the 1999 Harvey Rosten Memorial Award for Excellence for the advancement of thermal analysis of electronic equipment.
- Recipient of the IEEE EuroSimE Conference Award for Excellent Leadership in Simulation and Modeling of Micro/Nanoelectronics and Systems, 2009.
- Conference program committee member for EuroSimE, SEMI-THERM and THERMINIC international conferences.
- Program co-chair for EuroSimE 2012.
- Heat and mass transfer
- Fluid flow and heat transfer measurements
- Computational fluid dynamics
- Heat exchanger design
- Waste heat utilization in the oil and gas industry
- Solar energy utilization
- Electronics thermal management
REFEREED JOURNAL PUBLICATIONS (2009 TO PRESENT)
- Eveloy, V., and Rodgers, P., 2009, “Introducing Mechanical Engineering to Students in the Gulf Region,” The International Journal of Engineering Education, Vol. 25, No. 3, pp. 603 – 614.
- Goharzadeh, A., and Rodgers, P., 2009, “Experimental Characterization of Solid Particle Transport by Slug Flowusing Particle Image Velocimetry,” Journal of Physics: Conference Series, Vol. 147, 012069 (13pp).
- Kalinowski, P., Hwang, Y., Radermacher, R., Al Hashimi, S., and Rodgers, P., 2009, “Application of Waste Heat Powered Absorption Refrigeration System to the LNG Recovery Process,” International journal of refrigeration, Vol. 32, pp. 687 – 694.
- Goharzadeh, A. and Rodgers, P., 2009, “Experimental Measurement of Laminar Axisymmetric Flow Through Confined Annular Geometries with Sudden Inward Expansion,” Transactions of the ASME, Journal of Fluids Engineering, Vol. 131.
- Luckow, P., Bar-Cohen, A., Rodgers. P., 2009, “Minimum Mass Polymer Seawater Heat Exchanger for LNG Applications,” Journal of Thermal Science and Engineering Applications, Volume 1, Issue 3.
- Luckow, P., Bar-Cohen, A., Rodgers, P., and Cevallos, J., “Energy efficient polymers for gas-liquid heat exchangers”, ASME J. Energy Resour. Technol., vol. 132, no 2, 021001-021010, June, 2010.
- Goharzadeh, A., Rodgers, P., and Touati, C., 2010 “Influence of Gas-Liquid Two-Phase Intermittent Flow on Hydraulic Sand Dune Migration in Horizontal Pipelines”, Transactions of the ASME, Journal of Fluids Engineering, Vol. 132, no. 7, pp. 0713011-0713017.
- Alabdulkarem, A., Mortazavi, A., Hwang, Y., Radermacher, R., and Rodgers, P., 2011 “Optimization of Propane Pre-Cooled Mixed Refrigerant LNG Plant,” Applied Thermal Engineering, Vol. 31. pp. 1091-1098.
- Popli, S., Rodgers, P., Eveloy, V., Hwang Y., Al Hashimi, S., Radermacher, R., 2011, Boosting Energy Efficiency using Waste Heat Powered Absorption Chillers, SPE Production & Operations, in press.
- Mortazavi, A., Somers, C., Hwang, Y., Radermacher, R., Rodgers, P., and Al-Hashimi S., “Performance Enhancement of Propane Pre-Cooled Mixed Refrigerant LNG Plant,” Applied Energy – in press and available on line, June 2011.
- Somers, C., Mortazavi, A., Hwang, Y., Radermacher, R., Rodgers, P., and Al-Hashimi, S., “Modeling Water/Lithium Bromide Absorption Chillers in ASPEN Plus,” Applied Energy – in press and available on line, June 2011.