On the 22nd of February 2012, The Petroleum Institute students, faculty, and staff participated in the first Maarifa exhibition organized by GASCO. The exhibition was held at Sheikh Khalifa Energy Complex (SKEC), from the 20th to 23rd of February 2012. The exhibition consisted of electronic vendors, university projects, workshops, game simulations, and a lot more. The PI chemical engineering department, under the supervision of Dr. Ali Elkamel (Department Chair), arranged for the senior students to present their senior design projects at the PI stand. The PI booth mainly presented the different posters of the different senior design projects. Electrical engineering male students also participated and presented their steps and senior design project prototypes. Some of the proposed chemical engineering senior design projects and research areas that were presented by students were:
- Design of Catalytic Pyrolysis process for converting waste plastics into plastics
- CO2 absorption from ambient air with amine sorbents & use inDesalination
- Producing C2, C3, C4 & C5 from natural gas
- Design of MED and MSF plants for Umm-Al-Nar
- Fluidization of waste tires to recover energy.
- Production of porous(activated) carbon from biomass
- Attempting to increase the market value of sulphur through the use of sulphur polymer Nano-composites and other means
- New catalysts for steam reforming of methane
All the students were enthusiastic about their projects and participated by discussing their projects with industry professionals, institutional organizations, and school students. The industry experts encouraged the students to share with them the results of their projects once they finalize the sizing and costing stage. The GASCO management and CEO expressed their satisfaction with the students’ engagement in the event and granted them souvenirs at their departure from the event. This event showed the reliability & wisdom of chemical engineering students and their willingness to exert big efforts once they are given a chance to show their hard work and innovation. We look forward to the 2013 MAARIFA exhibition!
Prepared by: Alaa Fadel
Chemical Engineering Department